Update 1 - Community Bonding Period

by 7:11 AM 1 comments

During the first week of the community bonding period, I followed the instructions given by google and did the non technical tasks including submission of tax forms and registration for a payoneer account.

I was privileged to experience a video conference call with the JBrowse-GSoC team, Ian Holmes, Eric Yao and Saksham Saxena. Everything went well except for the few connection issues I had due to rain. It was a very nice experience and a valuable opportunity to have spoken with the mentors of the project I am assigned to. They explained a lot of interesting information about the founding of JBrowse, GMOD and the userbase of the browser.

In the meantime, I did the setup to configure JBrowse to run on apache2 server in my ubuntu development environment. I had installed and tested JBrowse on a windows system prior to the proposal submission, but not on ubuntu. During this week, I installed things such as ubuntu OS, apache2 server, nodejs, npm, bower and perl on my machine.

I followed the instructions given in the readme file at the JBrowse github repository. I faced an issue while trying to execute the ./setup.sh command. I sent a mail to the dev mailing list of JBrowse and got a solution from Sir Ian which solved the issue. I had run the 'chown' command in a wrong directory. Rest of the setup went smoothly.

Being successful at configuring it on my local machine, I tried to do the same on a remote machine hosted at sid.projects.mrt.ac.lk which is my final year project website. I could start the apache2 server on port 24 of the machine. But installing JBrowse had few issues. I am troubleshooting the issues at the moment.

I also played a little with the JBrowse codebase. I manipulated the index.html file to see how the basic html changes reflect on the final preview. I also explored the sample data sets to understand how the final preview of the site is generated.

I created a test facebook application to understand how the facebook comments plugin operates. I had to do few extra tasks to make the app public such as generating a privacy policy and updating app icons.

I also did some layout and template edits to this blog to make it more simple and easy to navigate.

I hope to be more productive in the upcoming weeks

1 comment: